Friday 8 June 2012

Week 16 - Time to say Goodbye - Personal


The past 4 months have been some of the best of my life and so saying goodbye to some absolutely awesome friends has been one of the most difficult things I have had to do! I can genuinely say that Lynsey and I have got to know some of the greatest friends we could have wished to have met – friends which we will keep for life!

Our final day in South Africa started at 5am watching the sun rise over the Indian Ocean with some of our closest friends – I couldn’t have wished for a better way to spend our final morning, despite the early start. Although it was our last day I must say that spirits were high in the morning and we made sure to leave a lasting stamp of our nameson the pier which we can look at again in future visits. The fact that we have now left South Africa still does not feel real! After our friends brought us to the airport we received a pleasant surprise when our South African friend Alex appeared to wave us goodbye. I can’t describe the feeling and atmosphere at the airport as our friends waved us goodbye except it felt as if we were losing not only friends but family.




The International experience has been incredible and I know that despite the difficult goodbyes, we will see each other again soon. Whether it be in Ireland, Minnesota or another part of the world, I know that there are many more adventures for us to share! Over the past 4 months I have discovered so much about myself, who I am, what I stand for, other cultures, customs and traditions, and another education system – no classroom can teach this!


Annie’s Cove, The French Mansion, Balizzas, Captains, Gondwanas, Barneys, Cape Recife, Jeffrey’s Bay, boat trips in Plettenberg, Cape Town, The Garden Route, Coffee Bay, bungee jumping, riding elephants, ostriches and camels – I will never forget any of it! Americans, French, South Africans, Germans, Norwegians, Swedish, Zimbabweans, Boatswains and Swiss – you have made this experience what it was - AWESOME!


So here’s to great friends, great stories, great shared experiences, great road trips, great days, greater nights, and great discoveries – the greatest time of my life!

T.I.A. 2012 I will miss you!

Friends, I will see you soon!

Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment