Friday 8 June 2012

Week 15 - Professional


Before coming to South Africa I often questioned how relevant subjects like Life Orientation and Learning for Life and Work really were today considering the broad exposure young people have to learn about a range of areas through media such as TV, magazines and the internet. Over the past few weeks, this week in particular I have realised how relevant this subject is for young people today.

If you ask pupils their opinions of Life Orientation, whether they be South African or from Northern Ireland, I am quite sure that the majority of them will comment that it is a ‘handy’ class or a ‘doss’ class. In other words, they consider it to be somewhat pointless, and somewhat of a free period – indeed there are many teachers who will share this opinion. In my opinion the way this subject is generally taught must change and this is something I have tried to take into account while teaching.

After teaching a year 9 Life Orientation lesson on ‘problems and stresses’ a pupil called JP asked to speak to me after the class. After explaining that I would have to share whatever he told me with other teachers he proceeded to tell me about the problems he had been facing at home and how this was effecting his emotions and concentration at school. I was initially taken back by his willingness to speak to me so openly to me about his problems but I was pleased that I had made a breakthrough during the lesson. This was another encounter of the widespread social problems effecting young people here, often ignored and not properly addressed by the school.

Life Orientation is critical in addressing the problems, situations, temptations and challenges young people face in their lives however it is not helpful to approach topics such as sexuality or suicide in rigid, uncomfortable and awkward ways - something I have witnessed many teachers here and at home do. Topics such as these are part of every young person’s growing up and must be approached in an open, frank, sensitive and relevant way – otherwise we are not really addressing the issues. Over the past few months I have been enrolled in Dr. Jordaan’s Life Orientation Method lectures in the University. I can genuinely say that I have learned a great deal from these lectures as we are taught how to address sensitive issues in a way which will encourage real participation and response from learners.



Life Orientation or Learning for Life and Work was never a subject I had any passion to teach – things have changed! I now have a desire to teach this subject when I return to Northern Ireland bringing with me the new and interesting approaches I have learned and practiced while here.
Until next week,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment