Tuesday 27 March 2012

Week 6 - Personal - Living for the Weekend













View of seals from boat



Ready for another action packed weekend, five of us set off in our rented 1980’s citi golf towards Plettenberg Bay. Plettenberg, a small coastal town built on a hill surrounded by beach, reminded me in many ways of childhood holidays with family on the North Coast of Ireland. When we arrived at the backpackers where we were staying, we soon realised the wide range of activities on offer in Plettenberg and were determined to fit in as much action as possible!
Despite getting washed over some pretty sharp rocks, swimming with seals was definitely one of the coolest things I have ever done! After a short boat trip out to sea we were greeted by hundreds of seals splashing and swimming in the water. It is difficult to describe in words the sheer adrenaline rush as a seal brushes past you, touching you while you swim, or the feeling of exhilaration as a huge bull seal swims right below your legs.

I think everyone’s eyes lit up when they noticed the brochure for Monkeyland and Birds of Eden in the backpackers. Still buzzing from our seal swimming experience we decided to check out if the brochure really lived up to its words – it definitely did! A guided tour brought us within touching distance of hundreds of monkeys as we walked through their enclosure. Most of the monkeys had either been unwanted pets or had been born in captivity – Monkeyland was a chance for the monkeys to learn how to survive on their own again. One monkey which was particularly special was Atlas, a white gibbon. Watching Atlas swing from trees and along railings was a truly hypnotising sight! Birds of Eden gave us a chance to see some of the most colourful and beautiful creatures I have ever seen in real life. No picture can fully describe how magnificent some of these birds look as they fly around you.







Stopping off on Boat Trip

Saturday saw a group of over 40 more international students from NMMU come to experience Plettenberg, and there was no better way for everyone to do this than a boat trip up river, between some incredible mountains. A fleet of over ten boats controlled by ourselves sailed up the river, occasionally swapping passengers along the way – this being Africa, health and safety wasn’t a pressing issue. We often use the abbreviation T.A.I. – This Is Africa! Soon the time came for many to conquer their fear of heights as the opportunity to cliff jump came! I must admit that I never thought I had a fear of heights until I got to the top and thought to myself ‘what am I doing’??!! Nevertheless I jumped and I wanted to go again, which I did several times! It was nice that as a big group of international students we were able to do something together as we hadn't really had the chance until now. I was actually surprised by the amount of new people I met as I thought I had met all the international students.


On Sunday I got to do something that I have wanted to do for a long time, hold a snake. In actual fact we got the chance to hold several of them as our Snake Park guide explained to us the different types of snake and where they are found. One of the most impressive was the yellow python which was surprisingly heavy!


Our time here has being going so fast and I feel more determined than ever to fulfil my list of things to do while here. Stopping at the world’s biggest bungee jump at Bloukran’s Bridge on the way home for a quick look has made me ready for adventure again!


Living the Dream,

Glenn


Flamingo in Birds of Eden

On the Beach

The Backpackers where we were staying














No comments:

Post a Comment