Wednesday 14 March 2012

Week 4 - Professional - South African School






In this weeks blog I am going to reflect on my first experience in a South African school. I will be teaching a subject called Life Orientation which is similar to Learning for Life and Work at home.

Cape Recife, the school at which we have been placed is a co-educational special needs school situated fifteen minutes walk from our accommodation at Annie’s Cove. I will be teaching in the secondary department which encompasses a wide range of special educational needs, from conditions such as cerebral palsy to ADHD and visual and hearing impairments.

Front Gates of Cape Recife
During my first day of observation I noticed some significant differences between the education system here and in Northern Ireland. Initially the most obvious difference is the language of instruction, varying between English and Afrikaans. Perhaps the most striking difference is the style of teaching and the methods used to deliver lessons. There is a much greater focus on textbook based activities due to limited resources, which at times seems quite boring for the pupils, particularly those with behavioural problems and low attention spans. Limited resources and lack of technology such as computers, projectors, interactive whiteboards and the internet leaves teaching less exciting. While the lack of technology poses challenges, it also offers opportunities to think in a more creative way, using resources that are available to make lessons more exciting and stimulating for pupils.

The South African education system is pursuing inclusion in their schools; however it is significantly behind that of Northern Ireland. In my opinion there are many pupils in the school, who with the correct support would succeed in mainstream schools. I know already that the experiences I will have while teaching here are going to be greatly beneficial in my teaching career.

Reflecting on my own education and the Northern Ireland education system it is clear to me that the pupils of Northern Ireland benefit considerably with advances in technology – something that many South African students do not. I have realised how fortunate we are to have the education system that we have, despite its problems. I realise the challenge of teaching in this school in a few weeks time, dealing with not only the special needs but also adapting my teaching methods and style to solve the limited resources in the school.

Steven Mazunga School
During the week we also had to opportunity to visit a Township school here in Port Elizabeth called Steven Mazunga School. The purpose of the visit was to try and set up a volunteering programme between the school and international students through a local NMMU student called Bantu. Walking through the Township to get to the school was at times intimidating but we were welcomed warmly at the school. After meeting with the principle and the Board of Governors we hope to set up an after school ICT club.








Backpackers at Jefferey's Bay
At the weekend a group of us decided to travel to Jeffery's Bay for the weekend. We rented three cars, two from friends and one from a company. Lynsey and I were given the responsibility of driving as most of the others were not familiar with driving manual (or stick as the Americans call it). I was pretty chuffed to have my friends 2012 Golf! A combination of good friends, surfing, braaiing and our beach front backpackers made for an awesome weekend








Enjoying every moment!
Glenn






Ryan and I with our awesome car!

No comments:

Post a Comment